Monday, October 25, 2010

Soup


In the spirit of the rain we have been getting, I felt it necessary to make a couple of pots of soup. I figured that it is just as easy to make 2 different pots as it was to make one. Now I have some for lunches throughout the week, etc. or simply some to freeze. One pot I made was just a simple chicken and vegetable soup. Later it can be eaten the way it was made or pasta or rice could be added to it.The 2nd pot was a recipe I got from Trader Joes several years ago...you can tweak it as you like it.
I started with a pot of water and chicken. I brought it to a boil and let it simmer for a couple of hours to make my own broth. In that pot, I added chicken bullion, chopped onion, and garlic salt. Once the chicken was ready to be shredded, I skimmed the broth and shredded the chicken and put it back into the pot. Then, I added 2 jars of Trader Joes' Salsa Verde (green salsa), a bag of Trader Joes' frozen roasted corn, 2 cans of chick peas (garbanzo beans), and a can of green beans (this was my own addition). As I got close to serving, I tore up tortillas into small pieces and threw those in the pot (I think the original recipe might have been chips...I can't remember). Simple but yummy. You can top with shredded cheeses, chips, sour cream or whatever you like.

Try not to judge the soup based on the picture. There have been so many things I haven't posted because the picture made it look unappetizing. I guess that is why they use fake things when they photograph food....because the really thing doesn't look as good....weird

No comments: